Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mr. President,

It has been too long since I've penned you. When I fail to write you daily, I fail to keep you in my prayers and I fail to keep current with the latest. As you swirl through your day I have something for you to keep in mind. You are in a position that is still revered, a position of authority over the United States. Will this always be a revered position? That I believe is up to you.

Former President Clinton certainly did not do his fair share of raising the bar while in office. They say that he left the White House in shambles and the amount of cleaning alone that was required was indicative of the level of respect his administration had for their positions of authority. How will it end for you?

I need to tell you that I am on a countdown, similar to the one that starts twenty-five days before Christmas. I ask myself, "when is the next election?" I shake my head when I realize that not even a year has passed. It seems like eternity. The confusion I believe stems from the parties preparing earlier than normal. Instead of a two year campaign it looks like it will be a three and a half year campaign. Why the early campaigning? What is it about your administration that has caused this early start? Have you delivered unrest instead of change?

Your presidency has certainly brought much to the forefront and for that I am grateful. The republican party is undergoing a major reassessment and one can only hope that the party will be better for it! But I ask you, how will it end for you? Will you leave knowing that you raised the bar for the position of authority you now hold? Or will you bring it down a notch like Clinton did?

How can you manage to leave and still remain a positive political figure as I believe former president Ronald Reagan was able to do. I watched his October 1964 speech titled, "A Time for Choosing" and was inspired, awed, ready for the fight. Have you listened to this speech? It might be time to watch it again.

Please, Mr. President, take time now to view this speech and require your family, your administration, and maybe even your dog to watch. Determine to leave the White House a better place because you were there!

Have a nice day! Remember to revere life, learn to revere life.

Sincerely,

Lynne Burkholder

No comments: