Thursday, September 24, 2009

Why I Write to You, Mr. President

Dear Mr. President,

It's been over a week since I last penned you a post. I do realize that you are not reading these posts. But somebody is and to you, that somebody, I hope this finds you well. The writing of these letters has done many things, all of them important. In referring to this little exercise I am doing I use the word, cathartic.

It is keeping me in the know. I scan the headlines, read articles, keep my ear to the ground for this endeavor. For many individuals that I know, keeping in the know is the last thing that they want to do. I am providing a service for my "head in the sand" friends when I give them my updates. I do what I can......

My heart is softened to you. The day President Clinton became president is a day I'll never forget. I remember what I was doing when I heard the news. It was a gloomy day, a dark day, an apocalyptic day for many of us. I didn't want to succumb to that with your presidency. You are a person, if I met you tomorrow I would not turn and walk away because of our vast disagreements, I would shake your hand and smile. I do not want to be a hypocrite.

I want to be in prayer for you with a right attitude. A right attitude never has anything to do with circumstantial surroundings, contrary to public opinion. I am a Christ follower and His ways are "Just Love". I desire to be like Him. Writing to you is keeping my attitude in check. (I think it took me far to long to get to this point!)

I disagree with you on many accounts. I am concerned for the anger I see brimming beneath the surface that leaks out by some of your unguarded comments. But my heart is there with you walking alongside of you in prayer. You and I have much in common by way of our humanness.

I want to be humble, I want to be of service, I want to be compassionate. These posts are aiding me in my pursuit of all that. I am saddened, however by the miles that separates me from my desires.

Today, have a good one. Go to the wisdom giver, the wisdom creator, the one who puts all things in perspective, the "I AM."

Blessings on your day, Mr. President.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Burkholder

No comments: