Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Geoff's Adventure


Some of you following the new adventure that Geoff is on might be interested in the news from the Twin Valley Scene.

I don't know, would you worry if he was telling you he did not need to bring home his backpack because he finished his work at school? :|
I'm just saying it is a tad unnerving. This kid comes home whistling dixie. He can not believe how much easier it is compared to the assignments I give him. This either makes me swell with pride or insecurity depending on my emotional status on any given particular day. My insecure days yell at me and say, you just might not know how to provide him with the appropriate assignments...........There is no rest for this brain!

He came home with a prize for winning an algebra contest (not sure of the academic merits of the contest). It was a homemade card from his Algebra teacher. It had a picture of his teacher making a silly face with a Jack Handy quote: “Friends are like peeing your pants. Everybody can see you peed your pants but only you feel the warmth." I love this kind of stupid, sick humor.

The math teacher is a believer, grew up a missionaries kid and has a heart for his students. He reminds me of the silly, quirky Young life leaders who revel in dumb jokes, love it! How is he doing in Math? I do not know, he does not bring home his work, remember?!

His Social Studies teacher hangs out with the Math teacher, they are good friends. This history guys is a believer as well. The school is loaded with saints. The stories out of his room, now they make me pee my pants. He is a quirky guy totally equipped to handle the emotional swells of a middle school student.

The language arts teacher, Geoff has suspected, is a christian also. Hey, why not shatter all of the arsenal I have ever used to home school, just make me look like a blathering idiot. Geoff is amazed how much he likes her class.

The art teacher, well, that is what put our foot in the door in the first place...........we know she is a believer and a fantastic art teacher to boot!

He comes home exhausted but he comes home charged, exhilarated. He and I have found our new rhythm. I definitely sense a relief, some room to breath. (for me)

I think I will have him evaluated(for homeschool....purposes) so that next year we are good to go if we continue home schooling. I also need him to finish science and PA History which are required for home school graduation. Both he and I know that it could go either way next year.

Sometimes I want to make sense out of a new direction before it has been allowed to take its course. The analyzing part of me really and truly gets in the way of just simply allowing God to bring insights without me relentlessly pursuing them.

When I think back to the initial week and how weepy, emotional, and edgy I was, I am glad to be on this side of it.

Just to wrap it up, the boy has five classes with four known christian teachers. Hmmmm............

Throwing babies out with bath water happens all the time. This time around we have the baby and not the dirty water................at least I think......

No comments: