Saturday, August 21, 2004

Bring back a stone

Any time any of my friends go away on trips I ask them to do something for me. I ask them first to say my name in the wind and then to bring back a small colorful stone or a seashell. My name has been spoken in many foreign places and that’s just fun for me to know. I vicariously live through their fun; but this was not fun for me.

I had told Janet that it would have been easier had it been a job transfer. A job transfer is something you can’t control at least if you want to keep your job. Whereas selling your business and leaving the community is actively choosing to leave.

The actively choosing to leave left me feeling not just sad but also empty. What could I have done to make this community more attractive, more exciting, more what Janet wants?

They don’t like it here and we do, are we missing something? Call these crazy, insecure, neurotic thoughts and I would have to agree. My insides were jumbled.

As a child I had lived in many different communities. I had chosen to move to this area from Rhode Island after college in 1985. I eventually married and settled in the Morgantown area and have now lived here the longest. This community was by far the best, hands down. This area is definitely child friendly. I love raising my children here with peach festivals, apple festivals, corn mazes, fresh fruit stands in every direction, rolling hills, etc.

Janet was a fixture in Morgantown; born and raised right in the same place. She had not chosen this community, it was chosen for her. If you know Janet, you learn quickly, she likes to do the choosing. She was akin to a racehorse in the gate waiting to be let out to run. Sure she enjoyed this community but her and Jerry wanted to explore. When the offer was right for their property, I gotta tell you, they sold it with seemingly no regrets.

No comments: