Monday, August 16, 2004

Summer

This summer has been one amazing summer. It all started in the spring. Something happened that totally redirected any plans, any schedule, any goals that I might have had for this summer.

Every year I am involved with a "Spring Tea." The night before the annual tea we were all busy working at preparing the tables, decorating the room, and organizing ourselves for the big night. It was May 20, a day I will never forget. I had just plopped down on a nearby love seat that we had placed in a corner for effect. As I took the time to nurse my baby, I was looking around the room. The pulling together of the room that happens when you decorate was just not coming together. I was frustrated. I called out and said, "Janet, where are you??? I need your eye to pull this all together." She didn't answer. She wasn't there. Little did I know where she was.

I knew this much, my friend Janet was on a trip around the United States. I also knew that she was in the Los Angeles area. But where exactly, at that very moment…I didn’t know. Janet and Jerry had sold their Garden Center and purchased a motor home. This was a dream of a lifetime. Their three boys were not as excited about this dream, but after a few theme parks, tours of interesting factories, paint ball wars, the boys had turned the corner, they were having fun.

For well over two years, I knew my buddy was leaving. Talk about a long goodbye. It was too long. The month before she left, all she would have to do is walk in my house and I'd start to cry, bawl, sob. It didn't come at a good time. I had just had my sixth child and my hormones were doing gymnastics inside of me. I didn't want her to leave. Of course I wanted them to follow their dreams but...

No comments: