Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Field Trips


We listened to a woman talking to us about when and where she became passionate to save American Chestnut trees. We were on a field trip at Joanna Furnace. This day was a bit of history and science all in one. All eyes were on her as she is relaying to us their plight. The American Chestnut trees need help.

I force myself to pay attention, my mind wanders. I see an SNL skit in the making, something my children find amusing, "You always see everything as a potential SNL skit...????" I have to go to the back of the crowd, I fear I might break out laughing. To see so many interested in a tree amuses me. I can hardly be serious about myself let alone a tree.

Yet what she is telling us also intrigues me. God cares for not only the details but also the big picture. The details tend to bore me but I do recognize that if there were no details I would be totally bored. It is my pathetic lack of discipline to focus that leads me to boredom. I rely on the speaker to engage me instead of jump starting interest on my own.

Everything on this planet matters. The Creator created everything for a specific purpose and this particular woman telling us of the plight of the American Chestnut Tree gets it! I need more field trips to let it sink in!

I still think there's a good skit to be had!
(TACF Pollination Photos (June-July, 2008))

No comments: