Wednesday, October 06, 2010

"Should I be?" Days.


These past couple of days need a name. Maybe they should be called "Should I be?" days. I have traveled this path before in the home school scheme of things. Yes, I accomplish learning experiences with the children. No, I am not losing my patience with them. But there is a looking over the fence on days like these, should I really be doing this. Everyone else is surely doing it "way much" better. I am convinced of it during these kinds of days. I go through the list of "shoulds." I should be reading this to them, I should be doing this with them, I should have them involved with this, with that, with EVERYTHING IN AND UNDER THE SUN!

I was talking with my father yesterday. Another couple from their apartment complex complimented his grandchildren,our children, the three birds we home school. They commented on their politeness and kindness. This was yet another compliment from our recent visit, a number of people had spoken to my parents along the same lines. This affirms our vision of true education which encompasses more than knowledge and ventures deep into the land of values.

"Should I be?" days are actually good for me to slog through. It never hurts to self-evaluate. I often come out the other end convinced that the course we are on is the course we are to be on. This world is shifting, knowledge is increasing at such a rapid rate we have to be wise and prudent as to what we believe is to be the knowledge base for this period of time.

But this I know to be true, even during my "Should I be?" days, the Word of God stands true and unchanged by the changing times. Though the knowledge base is changing like the speed of lightning, God is not. The daily practice of Bible reading with the freedom to discuss what comes up during the reading is something that should pull me quickly out of the "Should I be?" days!

No comments: