Wednesday, April 11, 2012

One Never Knows


Community HomeSchool Learning Group Singing at the Christmas program led by Bridget Griffith

Robyn, my daughter who works at the Daily Local in West Chester, called and asked me to find a homeschool mom with a title to be a panelist. The Daily Local was sponsoring a panel discussion on the State of Education in Pennsylvania and the facilitator wanted a representative from the home school community. It was not going to be me. I don't have a title and furthermore I disdain titles. This is not necessarily because of humility, sometimes just because I am plain lazy and sometimes because I am rift with fear.

Some of those I asked were unavailable, some were uninterested, and some were nervous. It was going to be me, the title less one. So,I spent a bit of time researching, inquired about talking points from the Home School Legal Defense, received amazing statistics the day before from College@Home (how did they know?) and attended the discussion on a Thursday evening.

They put me at the end of the table in front of a cardboard teepee titled Home School Parent Lynne Burkholder. The other seven men in suits filled the other chairs along the row of tables. Their cardboard teepees were way more impressive. There was a man on the school board at Coatesville, a state representative lobbying for Charter Schools, a President of a local cyber school and other assorted individuals invovled with education.

State Funding was the topic of the evening with many members of the audience asking pertinent questions. Eric, the educational correspondent from the Daily Lcoal who was faciltating the discussion felt the need to pull me into the discussion. Though during the break I tried to assure him I was fine and I had no need to talk. Can you believe that?

“Lynne, does state funding affect homeschooling?”

This was my moment, it was the one chance to share some home schooling insights. I pushed myself to the front of my chair, leaned forward into the mike and gave my insights, “No, not at all.” I pushed myself back into my chair and scanned the crowd. And I am one to pride myself with thinking on my feet. That's the best I could do! My lack of words spoke volumes.

That night and my famous phrase gave me a clear perspective on home schooling that will give me the strength to continue with this upstream swim. We, as homeschoolers, are not a burden on any school district. We are not even affected by mandates or state funding. Rather we are part of a movement over 2,000,000 million strong. Our educational background, our income, our money alloted to homeschool curriculum does not affect the higher test scores our children receive.

One of the panelists was late, Senator Dinnimon. He is a smiling politician, a favorite of West Chester and as he entered the room he was apologizing making his way to the front. He sat two seats down from me and during the intermission introduced himself. He wondered what I did. “I am a home school mom.”

He lit up, he loves homeschooling. “Don't you think that the school districts should make available their curriculum to homeschoolers?” His interest was curious to me and something in me woke. Yes, yes, all the school districts' resources should be available to the taxpayers who homeschool. Next thing I know he is asking me to trade business cards. Thankfully I had mine.

One never knows in life where you will be led. On April 26th, Senator Dinninmon's secretary has scheduled an appointment for us to talk. Interesting.

Will you please keep me in your prayers?

4 comments:

jes said...

This is fascinating to me! I will be praying for April 26.

allisonp said...

awesome! very cool! will be praying & can't wait to hear what happens!

Lynne Burkholder said...

Thanks for your prayers!

rachel said...

i am late on hearing about this, but still very curious to hear the results! how did it go?