Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wheeling and Dealing



We are searching for a, relatively speaking, new car. Currently you might see us driving an old olds. Or you might see us in the Jackin's van, the one with purple flames near the headlights. (Brian has asked me to respect those flames-I shall say no more). Perhaps you might see us in a baby blue van with one of the sides looking rather dented. I see it in your eyes though when you wave to me. Actually I hear you, “what is she driving NOW?”

We were in pursuit on Tuesday. We headed up to Lansdale to look at an Honda Civic. Lynn,with eyes on the road, says to me, “You know how you experience insecurities when you take on sewing projects?” I connect immediately. I never take on sewing projects because of the sweats. I am wondering where he is going with this, actually kinda scared.

“I am terrified of buying a car. I think of your Dad and your brother and their nice cars and I just don't know how to navigate this process.” My insides are in a puddle and all of a sudden I know this is an “Ishmael” drive. We are not going to find our “Issac” car.

The car lot was behind an old dilapidated building down a subdued alley. As we pulled in I said, “No,” “Don't you want to at least get out and look?” “Frankly, no. I don't.” I did get out and look only to point to the hood where the white didn't match the white and to each spot I uttered, “No, no, no, and no.”

The next day we were driving to rendezvous with a woman and a Grand Caravan. It sat pretty in Walmart's parking lot late Tuesday evening with a For Sale sign on the back. As we were driving to see this car we spiritualized our experience a bit. Oh,we pontificated, we just needed to rest. We traveled an hour to see a dud and here we were only a spit away from the car that we “sense” is the right one. The Lord is good.

The Grand Caravan was not so grand. How could we spiritualize this? We didn't attempt.

The Lord is still good. Thank goodness.

No comments: